If you’ve been to True Food Kitchen and had the ancient grain bowl, you know how good it is! And if you haven’t, well, make this one because it’s not 100% the same, but it’s pretty dang close and soooo tasty!
I shared a picture of ours on stories last week and so many requests for the recipe, but I hadn’t written it down. So, we had it again earlier this week so I could actually measure things out so you could easily create it at home!
The best part of this dish is the miso glaze on the sweet potatoes! It’s easy to make, and so delicious! Worth buying miso for if you don’t already keep it on hand.
If you make it, tag me in your Insta stories so I can see!
Ancient Grain Bowl with Salmon
Miso-Glazed Sweet Potatoes, adapted from Vegan 8
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbsp shiro miso paste
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1-2 Tbsp of water
- 2 – 4oz. pieces of salmon
- 1/2 cup uncooked or 1 cup cooked quinoa or superfood grains
- green veggies (broccoli, snap peas, asparagus, greens—anything you have on hand)
- 8oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced (any mushrooms would work)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 Tbsp vegan basil pesto (no cheese)
- lemon wedge
- sesame oil
- small handful microgreens, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spread potatoes in an even layer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- In a sauté pan, combine the remaining sweet potato ingredients—miso, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, sesame seeds, syrup, sriracha and water. Bring to a simmer and let thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, season salmon with a bit of sesame oil and salt and pepper. I put mine on a piece of foil.
- Once potatoes have cooked for 15 minutes, add salmon and mushrooms to the sheet pan. Flip potatoes, and cook 12 minutes (or until your salmon is cooked how you like).
- In the meantime, cook your grains.
- Sauté veggies in a little bit of olive oil and squeeze some lemon juice on them.
- When sheet pan is done cooking, add sweet potatoes to the pan with the glaze, toss to coat.
- Then plate! Start with grains at the bottom, then add salmon, mushrooms, sweet potatoes and green veggies. We like to garnish it with avocado, a spoonful of vegan basil pesto for extra yummy flavors and some microgreens!
It does require a few more pots and pans than I would typically prefer, but it’s so delicious which makes it worth it in my mind! Rob does the dishes in our house, so I don’t mind! And, he loves this dish so much, he doesn’t care about the few extra pans!
Hope you guys enjoy this tasty recipe—the sweet potatoes in it are AMAZING!
BTW, a week of healthy meal plans, and 5 minute detox pesto (which would be SO good in this bowl!).