Two Sundays back I woke up and thought, I need to make a bit of a change. Since the Super Bowl, I’d been eating snacking on leftover chips, dip and eating way too much pizza for dinner. Mostly, I didn’t want it to go to waste, and also it was easy. But I woke up that Sunday and was lie, I just feel like crap. Tired, groggy, bloated, and just bleeeh. For someone who typically eats healthy, I’d thrown myself off pretty seriously.
Monday morning I made a grocery run and stocked up on a ton of fruits and veggies. I also found a new product, 10-minute barley, yum! I scooped that up and went home to make this barley salad.
Not only is it healthy, it’s filling and super tasty. I ended up eating this everyday last week for lunch. This past weekend, I woke up feeling so thankful that I made that veggie run. More energy, sleeping better, feeling lighter, and just generally better!
Mediterranean Barley Salad
- 1 package Trader Joe’s 10 minute barley, cooked and drained
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded & chopped
- 1 can drained and rinsed garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lemon wedges
- A few splashes of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fat free crumbled feta cheese
- Cook barley according to directions, drain and cool. Add all ingredients in a bowl, toss and chill.
- Serve garnished with more mint and feta.
*Note: These measurements are estimates, adjust to your taste!