Smoky Lentil Soup
One of our household staples is this tasty, smoky lentil soup. Back in the fall, I made a batch of it for myself for lunches. Owen peered over and asked to try it. I was sure he wasn’t going to like it, but happily, I was wrong! He LOVED it! And for the next few weeks, he asked for lentil soup on the regular.
I’m even thinking about buying him a little canteen so he can take it to school, though that might get messy, ha!
Now, I make it every few weeks, especially while it’s still chilly outside. It’s packed full of veggies, fiber and hearty lentils that keep you full. I’m so glad he loves it because it’s an easy way to sneak in more vegetables and leafy greens. Though, I have to admit, he’s a good eater already!
I still eat mostly plant-based, and this one is such a hearty, filling one that keeps me full!
Smoky Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- dash red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 cups petite green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 bunch chopped lacinato kale
- S&P to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add onion, carrots and garlic and cook for 3 minutes until tender.
- Add smoked paprika, cumin, red pepper and tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add lentils, water and veggie broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat, add kale and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve!
It keeps well over a week and only gets better with time. I haven’t tried freezing it yet, simply because it never lasts that long. I hope you guys love this one as much as we do!