Homemade Healthy Granola
One of my favorite breakfasts or afternoon snacks is a small bowl of granola with fresh berries and almond milk. Yes, I realize it’s basically just a bowl of cereal, but I love cereal and it totally hits the spot.
I used to always by Kind’s granola, which is delicious, but its also like $7 for a small bag. Like, come on, really?! A few years ago, my sister had made the most amazing granola, so I decided I should try my hand it. The best part is that you control the sugar—one ingredient that can be really high in granola without realizing it (Kind’s is low, btw). I can also tweak my ingredients to my own personal liking!
I used this recipe from Cookie & Kate as a jumping off point and then tweaked it a bit to add more seeds and nuts and cut out the fruit. I’m not big into having dried fruit in my granola! It turned out even better than I could have imagined!
So good, that I make a second batch for Rob and subbed almonds for the pecans because he’s allergic to pecans. I would have just done all almond, but I looooveeee pecans! And, now we’re both happy!
It comes together super quick, doesn’t take long to bake and just has to sit on the counter to cool for about an hour before you store it. It’s healthier than what you can get at most groceries and again, can be customized to your liking!
Healthy Homemade Granola
- 4 cups oats
- 1 cup nuts
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, seeds, coconut flakes and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine melted coconut oil, salt, maple syrup and vanilla extract. I like to mix the salt in here because it dissolves and then you won’t get any salty areas in your granola because it’s evenly dispersed!
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients and stir to coat.
- Pour onto a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and press down with your spatula to create an even layer. Bake for 12 minutes. Stir and press down with your spatula again and bake another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool without stirring for at least 45 minutes. Once it’s completely cooled, you can break apart and store in an airtight container.
- Serve on it’s own, over yogurt or with milk!