For me, soup always hits the spot when it’s cold outside! Tortilla and Mexico City Style (kinda similar in flavors) is one of my all time favorites, but I wanted to change it up this time. This tortellini soup actually reminds me of a lasagna soup I made last year. I just love the hearty Italian flavors! It’s simple to make and keeps pretty well — even better if you add the tortellini separately to keep it from getting too soft.
I love serving soup in these bowls, even though I think they’re meant for pasta. They keep me from filling my bowl too much, aka eating 3 servings on accident. I typically pop them in oven on warm for a few minutes so that the soup stays extra hot!
I wish I could say that I shared this soup with Rob or friends, but I literally ate the entire pot over the course of 4-5 days by myself. The only thing that was missing was a french baguette to soak up the extra tomatoey broth!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 links Jennie O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 box of fresh tortellini, I used spinach, but anything you like will work
- 2 cups chopped raw kale
- S&P to taste
- shredded mozzarella
- grated parmesan
- fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Once hot, add turkey sausage and cook until no longer pink. Remove from the pan, but leave any drippings behind.
- If necessary, add a little more olive oil, then add the onion, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, dried basil and oregano. Saute them for 5-8 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add tomato paste and scrape any brown bits from the bottom.
- Add garlic, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth — stir to combine. Bring to a boil and lower heat. Add turkey sausage back to pan and simmer the soup for 30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and kale and cook until tortellini is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with shredded mozzarella, parmesan and fresh basil.