Jack’s Birth Story

If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that we welcomed our son, Jack Robert Staky into the world on July 6! He was born at 2:30pm, weighing 8lbs and 20 inches long. Just about identical to Owen when he was born.

Other than being just about the same size, their births couldn’t have been more different. With Owen’s birth, it was only 10 hours from the moment I went into labor until he was born. I’d heard so many stories about how the second comes faster and I was pretty nervous about just how fast Jack might come. We’re staying with Rob’s parents which was about 25 minutes from the hospital, so I asked my doctor if inducing early was an option.

Thankfully, it was! Having a date set made those last few weeks a lot less hectic and worrisome for me too. Though at 37 weeks, I had a few signs that he was coming and got nervous that he was going to come even earlier, but that didn’t end up happening.

Jack’s Birth Story

We went to bed on the night of the 5th and it was so hard for me to fall asleep. I was both anxious, excited and nervous for the next day, but did my best to finally get to sleep. Jack must have sensed it because he was kicking and squirming all night long. I was having some uncomfortable cramping, but chalked it up to nerves.

We drove to the hospital, peacefully, around 5:30am on the 6th. It was such a different experience than Owen where I could barely open my eyes because I was in so much pain.

We got to the hospital and our nurse came out and said she’d been trying to call us—they didn’t have a room ready yet because they had so many births the night before. Turns out it was a full moon and every time there’s a full moon they get a surge of births—how wild, right?!


We hung out in triage for a bit, where they got everything ready—IV, those funny bands on your belly, answered questions and signed some last minute papers. Once I was hooked up to the machine, my nurse told me I was actually already in labor and having contractions about 7 minutes apart. I wondered if I might be, but they weren’t nearly as painful as they were with Owen, so I just wrote them off!

Shortly after, a room opened up and we moved down the hall to Labor & Delivery! We had the sweetest nurse, Nell, who made our whole day so amazing. She was so calm and sweet, we loved her! The doctor came in to check and see how far along I was before starting any medicine and I was already 5cm dilated—again, I was pretty shocked to learn this because I hadn’t really felt much the past few days.

Shortly after, they started pitocin and pretty quickly, I started having more regular, frequent and painful contractions. Before they broke my water, I opted for the epidural. I know it’s not for everyone, but I am eternally grateful for whoever invented the epidural, haha! For me, it made the whole birth so much more enjoyable and relaxing.

We hung out for a while as things progressed, I ate a few popsicles and Jello cups because my banana bread that I nervously ate that morning was long gone and I was so hungry.

After about an hour or two (I lost track), my contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart and I could really feel them on my right side, so they came back and gave me another dose of medicine that helped balance things out. I could still feel my and move my toes and feel contractions, but no pain—it was glorious!

Around 1:45 or so, again, I wasn’t really paying attention to time, I started feeling more pressure every time I had a contraction and buzzed our sweet nurse. She checked and said we were getting close and to let her know when the feeling got more intense, or stayed even after a contraction.

I did my best to just relax, close my eyes and rest, and then all of the sudden, I was like, “ohhhh, yup, things are moving along” and called her back. She checked again and was like “oh, yup, that’s the baby’s head,” within a couple of minutes, she had everything set up and ready to go.

Then she got paged that her patient next door needed an emergency C-section so she ran out the door for literally a minute and told me not to cough or sneeze, haha! She came back with my doctor (Dr. Rustici, who I absolutely LOVE!) and those big overhead lights went on and I started getting emotional—I’m such a crier.

Everyone got in position, I was laughing at Rob staring at the wall avoiding any eye contact with my lower half despite having to hold my leg, haha! My doctor was like, “okay, on this next contraction, you’re going to push!”—it was sort of surreal how quickly it all happened. After two contractions and 5 pushes, Jack was here!

The nurse dried him off quickly and put him straight on my chest which was so special. I didn’t get to do that immediately with Owen because his heart rate had suddenly dropped and they had to make sure everything was okay before I could hold him.

For the next hour, we got to just hang out in the room doing skin to skin and relaxing. Within 30 minutes, he was ready to eat, so I fed him. Shortly after that, I started feeling really nauseous. I hadn’t eaten much all day at that point, so Rob brought me some snacks, which I promptly threw up. I thought that would be it, but I threw up twice more before I got some anti-nausea medicine. Sadly, that did not work and she ended up having to give me a second kind that finally did work after I threw up a couple more times. That was probably the worst I felt all day.


After I was feeling a little less awful, we were finally able to move over to the other side of the hospital. We got to our room and my sweet friend Emily, who is a postpartum nurse ended up being our nurse and had decorated our room and brought flowers. It made it feel extra special since we weren’t allowed to have any visitors come in. I still wasn’t feeling great, so I basically slept while her and Rob hung out, but it was still so nice to have a friendly face on the other side!

We stayed that night and most of the next day, but were able to get discharged around 4:30pm the next day so we could go home and see Owen!

At Home

We’ve been home for about 2 weeks now and are adjusting to newborn life and getting less sleep. All I have to say is thank goodness for grandparents! We’re living with Rob’s parents for one more week and they have been so amazing. They’ve helped get Owen up and going in the mornings when we’ve gotten little sleep, play with him, cooked us meals, ran errands and grocery shopped for us—the list goes on! I know that having their help has had a huge role in my recovery being quicker and easier this go around.

We move into our house on Monday and while I’m so excited for that phase, I know I’ll miss the built-in help we’ve had over the past few months! Thankfully, we’ll still only be about 25 minutes away from them.

Sometimes I look up and still can’t believe we have TWO KIDS. Like, am I old enough for this, haha!! I feel so lucky and blessed to have two healthy, boys and cannot wait for them to grow up together! Thank you for letting me share my family with you and always being so kind and thoughtful! You guys are the best!

BTW, Owen’s birth story, and my non-toxic baby registry.

6 Amazing Gua Sha Benefits
2 Ideas for the Formal Living Room