You may have already guessed it, but today is my 29th birthday! Honestly, I can’t really believe it. Twenty nine?! Where did my twenties go?! I woke up the other day thinking that my twenties had gone by so fast, but then I stopped and really thought about all that has happened these past nine years and wow, it’s a lot.
The short list: I graduated college, backpacked Europe, went on my first date with Rob, started dating Rob, moved to Chicago (with Rob), launched my freelance business, launched this blog, posted my very first outfit post (indoors + a tripod, eek!), got my first dog, married Rob, honeymooned in Asia, moved apartments three times, made incredible friends (and then watched a lot of them leave), launched BFK with Jess and so so much more.
So, sure, it seems like it went by fast, but so much has changed since then. I’ve changed a lot since then too! I know everyone says college is the most fun they’ve ever had in their lives, but I have to admit that I’ve found my later twenties to be so much more fun than college — and that’s comparing it to my amazing college experience.
As far as birthday celebrations go, I’ve never been much of a birthday person and instead of big parties with tons of friends and all the attention on me, I always opt for a small lunch or dinner with my best girl friends and a fancier dinner out with Rob.
Also, I’m not a huge fan of cake, but I do have a serious weakness for red velvet cupcakes, so I figured why not whip up a batch to celebrate the last year in my twenties? These were easy to make and even easier to eat, ha! You can find the recipe here!
Tonight we’re heading to a restaurant that’s been on my list for a long time, make sure you’re following me on Instagram to find out where! (Hint, it involves pasta!)
Since this year will mark the last of my twenties, I wanted to do something else I’ve been thinking about for a long time — a 30 before 30 list. Some of these goals are simple and fun and some are more challenging. They cover everything from personal goals, to health and travel goals, to professional goals! I actually loved making this list and might make it a yearly habit. It’s fun to sit there (wine glass in hand, duh!) and think about the things you really want to do in the next year. The fun part is that they don’t have to be serious or super challenging! And who knows, maybe this list will inspire you to make one of your own!
30 Before 30 List
Timeline: May 17, 2016 – May 16, 2017
1. Buy a piece of original art I love
2. Visit Garfield Park Conservatory
3. Have a picnic in the park with Rob
4. Take a ceramics class
5. Invest a set amount each month
6. Host a dinner party
7. Read 10 books (All the Light We Cannot See, When Breathe Becomes Air)
8. Sew new pillows for our couch
9. Take a hip hop dance class
10. Give up shopping for a month
11. Try 10 new (to me) restaurants in Chicago (Cruz Blanca, 90 Miles Cuban Cafe)
Give up dairy for one month
13. Meditate everyday for a one week
14. Go to yoga 5x a week for one week
Get new lamps for our bedroom
16. Get art for our entryway
17. Clear the clutter from our home
18. Clean out my closet (monthly)
Finally get rid of unwanted furniture (5/22: old kitchen island is gone and rug gone!)
20. Add Iceland photos to my Minted shop
21. Launch an e-course
Take a writing class
23. Allow myself to take a day off once a month
24. Really learn Lightroom
25. Share a full home tour
26. Travel to a country I’ve never been to
27. Do a staycation in the city with Rob
28. Travel to a new state
29. Complete an overnight hiking trip
Visit My Sister in Knoxville
photography by Aimée Mazzenga