I’m sure I’m not alone when stating that I’m officially worn out from summer. ‘Tis the season for weddings, parties, vacations—which are all amazing celebrations and experiences, of course!—but it also means that life is hectic, and tiring. As we move into September, I’m excited for a season of refresh and simplicity. I’m all about finding small ways to make each day easier. If you’re craving the same thing, here are a bunch of ways to make life less complicated.
- Batch tasks. I first read about this idea in The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss and I’ve been relying on it since. Instead of going from one type of task to another all day, organize your calendar accordingly. I now take phone calls in one setting, write in another, etc. It really helps with brain energy!
- Check emails 3x a day. Similar to batching tasks, checking emails every time you get a notification is not only exhausting, but it’s a lot of work for your mind. If you can swing it, try checking in the morning, during lunch, and before signing off. And that’s it!
- Use one card. Of course this will depend on the type of cards you have, but I personally use one credit card for ALL subscriptions. Everything from Spotify to work programs are auto-paid by my CC. This way, it’s painless to update when the card expires, and it’s easier for budgeting too.
- Single task. It might seem like you can do a lot more when multi-tasking, but it’s a lie. This is a hard one for me, but I’ve been doing my best to focus on one chore, one person, one tech device at a time.
- Simplify your meals. At the beginning of the month, pick 10 recipes that you (and your family) will enjoy. Make these 10 things over and over throughout the month, then switch things up once the calendar hits the 1st.
- Have a weekly “Get your life together” hour. I do this on Friday mornings and it feels amazing! This involves putting in any Amazon Prime orders, printing return slips, cleaning out my phone, etc. You’ll head into the weekend feeling a lot lighter.
- Dedicate certain days to certain chores. Simple as that! Monday is for laundry, Tuesday is for grocery shopping, etc. No stressing about when things will get done.
- Schedule appointments before you leave. Instead of trying to remember that you need to trim your hair every 10 weeks, just make your next appointment before you leave the salon. Same goes for any type of appt—doctor check-ins, dog grooming, nails, whatever.
- Clean out your closet! Do a seasonal clean out of your wardrobe to make getting dressed easier. Another personal tip for picking out your daily look? If I love a basic (jeans, a t-shirt, a cardigan), I buy a couple at a time, usually in different colors. So easy to mix and match and to throw on when time is sacred.
- Go to bed at the same time, wake up at the same time. It’s easier on your body, you’ll end up sleeping better, and you never have to change your alarm clock again. And I promise, once you’re used to it, it’ll actually be a treat getting up earlier on a weekend.
I’d really love to hear how you make life more simple, so please share!